3kV Large Area Ion Source and Controller
RBD's 3kV Large-Area Ion Sputter Package comprises an electron discharge source, power supply, and cable. Designed to operate as low as 100 eV, the 3 kV ion source provides a large 10 mm spot size, uses argon gas, and does not require differential pumping.
The package includes ion source, electronic control unit, sample current meter, cabling, operating manual and a spare filament assembly.
- High beam currents at low beam energy
- Broad 10 mm spot with no raster required
- Long working distance; avoids conflict with other instrumentation
- Dual filaments
- UHV compatible
- 2.75" mounting flange
- Flange to target distance of up to 12"
- Operating Pressure – typically 5 x 10-6 Torr
- Beam current – 1 uA @ 100 eV to 18 uA @1 kV to 3 kV
- Beam voltage – variable 0 to 3 kV
- Filaments – dual Tungsten/Thoria
- Gas Inlet Flange - 34 mm OD CF (separate leak valve required)
Theory of Operation
The 3 kV Ion Source is an oscillating electron discharge source with electrostatic extraction and focusing lens. Argon gas is leaked directly into the discharge chamber where ions are formed at a selected energy of between 100 and 3000eV. The ions are extracted and focused into a spot of approximately 10mm diameter at the sample surface where the impact of the energetic ions physically removes surface material.